View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 04:33 PM   #719
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
40hrs at what hourly rate? 40hrs is totally enough if you worked hard enough in your early life to net skills that pay more per hour...or if you gave up your mid-twenties to join the military like I did. I am not advocating for service, but the theme of 'give to get' is what I am trying to convey.

It seems like (and tell me if I am wrong) you are saying that people who barely get out of high school, have no marketable skills, and work at WalMart as overnight stockers should be able to afford a 4 bedroom home in CA. That's apartment-in-a-not-so-nice-neighborhood money at absolute best.

Moving to the middle of nowhere is another one I love to hear. No one is saying to move to the middle of nowhere, but as Californians that's what it FEELS like to think about leaving our glorious mecca. No one is saying move to the middle of nowhere, we are saying that you should leave CA. My family finally did and they seem to enjoy life more.

What is a good work-life balance to you? Why are you always looking at the upper management guy's plate without looking at the cost to get there? At minimum a 4yr degree from college with college debt, missing out on social events to study for exams during that time period, and they will probably STILL tell you they think college is a racket, too. The difference is they played the game so the don't have to live in squalor.

I will never scoff at someone that has worked their way up from the entry-level job to 'middle-management but I will always understand that the supervisor with the college degree makes more.

If you want to keep talking about the 'rich daddy got me a job' cases, I will always agree with you...but in my life experience I have always been paid less than someone who actually took the time to get a degree.
1: 40 hrs at ANY rate. Literally minimum wage is by definition supposed to be "It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By 'business' I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white-collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages, I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living."
-FDR, the dude who implemented min wage in the USA.

Interpret that how you will, but its not hard to see that a working mans salary in mid 80s was enough to PURCHASE a home, now it takes 3 of those salaries just to afford rent. In the 70s, those wages went even farther towards affording a comfortable living. Instead we've stripped those wages and funneled the profits all the way to the top, hoarding wealth, hoarding resources.
This current generation is the first in american history to be LESS well off than the one preceding it.

2: i see it posted regularly, the "why don't you just leave" argument. I'm not trying to put words in YOUR mouth, but its still thrown around as a talking point.

3: my personal work / life balance is fantastic. I put my 40-50 hrs a week in and then go home and work on car shit for another 20-30, but thats my hobby as well as my side hustle. Should EVERY person have to? Nah. We shouldn't have to manage the equivalent of two full time jobs just to cover the BASICS.

I'm not sure why americans are so hung up on this idea that "oh i'm better because i work 90 hrs this week, with zero days vacation this year, i'm so tough". Plenty of other nations look at us in shock for things like this.

4: what are your thoughts on the entry level positions that require college degrees, for barely entry level wages? How many thousands of college grads are there who aint making middle management wages but still made the same sacrifices and have the same debt?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote