View Single Post
Old 09-12-2023, 02:29 PM   #65
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Picking up where I left off:

I got the head and valves back from the machine shop. Just had it cleaned up, tested, and resurfaced.

I wouldn't say I hated valve lapping, but I definitely got sore doing all 16 in one sitting lol

One thing I really fought were the valve keepers. It didn't help that my tool kinda broke after 3 valves, but I made it work and barely finished before the light went away.

I figured it was time for a new color for the valve cover, so I went with Toyota 221 this time:

Reassembly time!

One minor set back was I wasn't able to correctly orient the idler gear since main timing cover was still on. After a few tries I was able to get all the marks lined up and the lobes correctly oriented.

In the picture you can see intake is at about 8 o'clock and exhaust at 2 o'clock rather than completely outwards at 9 and 3.

It's hard to believe those cam bolts require that much torque. That wore me out!

Assembly went into the night, but the engine is finally closed up.

When I first added my fuel pressure regulator, I went with a Tomei one, but after awhile it bothered me that it pointed the fuel line straight into the firewall.

I switched to ISR's since it gave it a more appropriate angle:

And finally, no more electrical tape for this thing! Thanks, Crimsonrockett

Still need to sand the lettering, but it's finally done! Just needed coolant.

I spent about $100 for this thing, and I have no regrets at all--I highly recommend it.

And we're back!

Car was so nasty after sitting for a month