View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #35
gundamzeta
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
gundamzeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq
I will say this and it will probably offend some of the people i.e. S14 owners out there. Oh ya official disclaimer my buddys RB powered track S14 stomps all the MR2 Turbo's it comes across on the track all the time. hehehhehhehe
that said I have driven MR2's and I do like them. Though I will say its a apples to oranges thing to really compare a MR to FR. Though since we are here , S13's while S14 owners claim superiority over S13's still in my book rule in the S series chassis's here in the states. It asks to be driven hard, It asks to be thrown in a corner . Much more than even a setup S14 does . Plain and simple!! Not saying you can't throw a setup S14 and have it do will you can. Though it does not entice that kind of driving nearly as much as a S13 does. Yes the S13 chassis is not as stiff . Yes its noisier( sports cars are supposed to be noisy). It just plain and simple evokes the embodiment of sports car much more than the S14 does.
Now comparing a S13 to a MR2 is a little closer but again apples to oranges. In all out grip the MR2 just rocks!! Though it is a completely unforgiving chassis. I.E. drive a MR2 you better be a pretty decent driver. S13 on the other hand while you can drive it hard is much more forgiving allowing the driver to recover and save face. I.E. less experienced driver better off driving a S13.
Oh and for all the people out there that say a 240sx is a piece of crap car and only good because its cheap you really do not know much about sports cars and suspension technology.
1989 S13 came out 15k production sports car pulling .89 on the skid pad stock from the factory thats 2 tenths of a point below a C5 Corvette and a stock Porsche 911.
Add to that a drag coefficent somewhere around .31 and a center of gravity of .29 and you have a nice well balanced low center of gravity grippy entry level sports car.
Why? Because the rear Independant Multilink suspension Nissan stuck in our cars, is a world class suspension design. Its why the still use a variation of it today in their cars.
It won accolades when they brought it out in 89 and its still consider to be great. The only thing they did not do to the S chassis series which would have made it amazing was a wishbone front suspension setup of course that was because that was Z car and Skyline fare.
Now I am sure one you of is going to try to flame me for this but these are facts and prove out the naysayers of our cars.
There is reason the 180sx was Japans most popular sports car ever built. It lies in the combination of the above factors combined with the SR20det that made the car a Z killer in Japan. Now your all going to cry about how we got stuck with the KA and its sucks. Eat it !! There are ways around that. Fact is Americans are hotrodders we adapt and change things if they are not perfect. Get over it and go out and enjoy your car and stop putting it down. Its a whole lot better car than some of you may think.

this pretty much what I came to concluded. Thanks for confirming.
gundamzeta is offline   Reply With Quote