View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 10:12 PM   #14
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_S13 View Post
Hi All,

Figure this might be better here in the local forum but is there any legislation/documentation regarding CA not going to require smog for cars that are 1996 and older in a few years?

Background - Car passed smog today so I can get my registration. The Smog Tech casually mentioned as he was making small talk and said the following

You should only have to smog 1 more time in a few years - there's legislation that they won't require it for cars 1996 or older.

I attempted to get more info but he didn't elaborate.

I'd be overjoyed that I wouldn't have to smog every other year anymore, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wishful thinking here but if there's any sort of proposed legislation out there, I'd be curious to read up on it. The car sits 98% of the year in my garage and occasionally drive it (every few weeks if I have time/motivation).

This would make it even easier to keep around (forever) if I don't have to worry/stress/work towards getting it ready for smog.

Thanks for any insight.

Aaron
'91 240sx coupe
Am family friends with a smog tech.

This has been a long standing rumor for quite sometime. But until theres actual things in writing i wont hold my breath.

Bar 97 was "supposed" to be discontinued a little less than 10 years ago and well...its still here. There was even a zilvia thread talking about it.

Personally tho i dont see why California wont just allow us enthusiasts to pay an additional fee to avoid the test. Kinda like how alot of people pay for a "funny" test but instead we pay that to the state in an increased fee. I figure this would be a no brainer option since Cali government likes taxing its citizens up the ass as it is.

Side note: Im jealous of states with lesser smog standards because they tend to have way more older vehicles on the road.

Edit: Found said zilvia thread:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=608824
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote