View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #25
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Well I've got a pretty big update here:

This is something I didn't realize till I was starting to install the head. On the s14 head there is a separate oil pressure source coming up from the block and into the timing chain tensioner. It took me a good couple hours of probing holes in the head to figure out how oil is routed in the head. I am still confused about how the VTC solenoid works. It looks like there is a oil passage going from the solenoid up through the cam bridge, through the cam and cam bolt and into the VTC sprocket. But how does the solenoid regulate oil pressure is what I am wondering. Anyone have any input on this? I don't know that it will really matter in my situation. I am thinking that as long as I have oil going to the tensioner then I am ok.

On the s13 it get oil pressure to the tensioner from a hole coming from the front left head stud hole. Here is a picture of the s13 oil pressure hole location.

On the s14 head, it has the same hole in the head stud hole but that supplies oil pressure to the VTC solenoid. This poses a problem because if I don't modify the head then I will have no oil pressure to the tensioner.

So here is some info for anyone in the future who decides to attempt this. I went to several machine shops and some said they could do it. The shop I had my head decked quoted me 150 dollars to drill a hole. Another shop said 100. Both said they couldn't get to it for at least a week. I decided to take it to a place nearby called Midwest Chassis and Performance. The shop is built behind the owner's house. It sounds shady but this guy is recommended by everyone in town. I take it to him and he says he has a bridgeport to do it and it will be 30 dollars. I am in disbelief. Then I tell him that I jb welded the other hole and he said he will use a threaded plug to plug it for 20 dollars. And on top of that it only took him 1 day to do it. I am thoroughly impressed. Here are some pics:

What great about the plug is it is removable. If I ever decide to go to an s14 block I have the option of plugging the hole in the block or removing the plug and running it that way.

So when looking for a shop to do this, make sure they have a bridgeport. Also bring them both heads so they can drill the same location as the s13 head. And don't be like me and find out about this till I am about to install the head.

Today, the head is bolted and torqued down, head assembled, cams installed, timing all set. Tomorrow will be rewiring iacv, installing turbo, running vacuum and fuels lines, and other misc tasks. Should be 2 or 3 more days to get this thing running. Can't wait.....the weather is so nice!!!
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote