View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisiu View Post
i'll grab a pic tomorrow of where mine cracked. apparently a real common spot because the replacement tank candidate i picked up was also cracked there. (got my money back)

as for pressures, i do not know, but my tank sure does hiss a good amount when i open the fuel cap sometimes.

my tank cracked pretty badly and my attempts to fill or patch the crack did not work. tried it a couple times, maybe it would have worked if it wasnt so severe.

the first time i used a cheap plastic welder kit, basically just a small hot iron and some "scrap" hdpe i found (old black plastic bucket). heated the scrap up with the iron until it was gooey and pressed it into the crack and kind of smoothed it out with the iron. drove around the block the next day and my patch split.

second time i did more of the same but this time i used a heat gun to really heat up the area before adding more plastic thinking it would give a better bond or something. additionally, added some jb-weld plastic epoxy over that because i prayed i did not have to do this entire process again in my driveway. alas, it failed and i ended up buying one that wasnt cracked.

i've read people DIY this problem with good results. even with melted zipties lol. so maybe i have bad luck or my process sucked or the material labeled hdpe was trash, maybe all 3. i just wish they still made new tanks.

it's your process of how you did it. remember back in the days when you were in art class and you were making clay pots etc.....you have to score the clay first before you made the next layer. same process. this is how i fix plastic cracks etc.....this way you won't delaminate the plastic you melted on the tank.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote