Old 09-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #36
wurley
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
wurley is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadians14sr20det View Post
I even went so far as to measure the frequency of the vibration
Could you explain to me how you did this please? It might help my cousin dealing with a similar vibration on a different car.

Quote:
  • Makes the noise slightly in neutral (clutch pedal out) and in gear (clutch pedal in) with the car stationary.
My thoughts on causes are now only the following:
  • Transmission is shifting hitting the body under load.
    (I really doubt it's this, as the shifter barely moves and I have clearanced the shit out of the tunnel, ensuring there's at minimum half an inch. I've also tested this by moving the transmission down another inch on its mounts, still makes the noise.)
  • Resonance in the z33 transmission.
If clutch pedal is pressed in with the car stationary, doesn't that mean nothing is moving in the trans?

Quote:
I think it's resonance. I'm using the S-chassis mount on the transmission with a crossmember I fabricated. If you look at the oem nissan mount it's a completely different design. It's also secured to the crossmember by a bolt nissan itself calls a "damper bolt". Nissan also uses a dual mass flywheel to smooth vibrations as well. I'm thinking this transmission is just super noisy by design.
When converting from a dual mass to regular flywheel, people often talk about having more vibration and noise. I have seen threads on bmw and volkswagon forums about this.
wurley is offline   Reply With Quote