View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #43
insa

Trader Rating: (0)
insa is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadians14sr20det View Post
This isn't just this car being loud, trust me. This is some sort of resonance that vibrates the entire chassis, feels like the car is gonna come apart. Also the fact it happens at one part of the rev range is concerning. Resonances like that can be highly destructive.
I have the same issue here. SR20DET with Z33 transmission swap. The transmission is loud by itself, which is fine, but I also have crazy vibrations.

Hours were spent checking clearance to the transmission tunnel, and I think this is not causing this.

The transmission worked fine at some point in the past, but problems started when when a downpipe to engine block bracket was added to support the exhaust manifold and take weight off it (as I was having a problem with cracks). At the same time I changed the Z33 OEM rubber transmission mount to a polyurethane unit, which increased the vibrations to a level where you felt uncomfortable driving the car. Changed it back to Z33 OEM rubber mount, which helped. Then changed again to a hardened rubber mount, which is acceptable, but not good.

A rubber connecting mount (don't know the exact english word for this) was added to the block to downpipe connection, which only helped a bit. If downpipe and engine block are not connected, the vibrations are nearly gone. But then I have the manifold cracking issues again, and I don't know which is worse...
insa is offline   Reply With Quote