View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #24
zero.counter
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
zero.counter is making a name for him/her selfzero.counter is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to zero.counter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOUKI KA-T
That's not right. The cost of the paint alone to do my sides was over 100$, it's OEM deep Fuschia, (purple with a pearl)
Also many fiberglass body pieces on the market are very porous and require a lot of prep work to have a decent paint job and not have an assload of little pinholes and fisheyes. 250$ in not unreasonable at all if you want quality work.
I totally disagree with your misunderstanding. If you are not professionally familiar with the process and only go by what the bodymen say, then you are making an assumption. It reminds me of how a computer tech can take advantage of the elderly man just trying to receive pictures of his grandchildren (the internet being the means for transmission or lack therof), and the tech tells him that the reason he cannot access the internet is because he needs a new motherboard and hard drive and needs to be upgraded to the newest OS and that labor for doing all of the would be at least 3 hours at $75hr, not including parts. The old guy does not know anything about this techno-babble the tech speaks of and agrees. Then when he is playing poker with his 67+ year old comrades, one guy says, "you know, I cannot get pr0n on my computer anymore but everything else works fine", (the guy know nothing about computers), and the original victim refers the pr0n freak to the swindling tech because he was never educated on what the real problem was. In other words, don't believe everything you hear just because of the source. Get educated in what is being discussed for your own sake and others as well. I will explain the "lack" of understanding on the paint subject just ahead.

You stated "MANY", obviously not including all. Now that I typed that, we can move on with the point of my response. First of all, shop around if you are going to have it done. Name brands are not always the best, and neither is, "my dad's, friend's, uncle's, cousin's, sister said that he was the best". The primer/sealer is for removing the cat claws and pinholes that may arise. The sandpaper is for smooting out. And I think you know what the paint is for, right? I gave a specific example, BLACK, oem that is. How much more professional can a job get it there is a deep luster, no signs of cat claws or pinholes, no overspray, no orange peeling, and the entire surface is smooth as glass? I guess that maybe there are those $4k jobs, and the guys are entering their cars in the Tokyo Auto Salon, but otherwise, it's about as pro as anyone can get. You can buy a premade apple pie, or you can make it from scratch. You can design and build your own house or you can buy it pre-made. You can call a plumber for a clogged sink, or you can buy liquid drano. You can swap your own motor, or loose tons of money paying some other guy to do it and never learn much about your car. The point here is that just because some guy went to community college or an equivalent and learned how to paint with a gravity fed gun or use the old hammer and dolley or the mechanical sheet metal shaper ("hammer" as we like to call it), does not mean that their job will be better than someone's who took the time to learn and practice to perfect their painting skills. Just like anything you yourself do, like attending school or getting that homemade BBQ sauce down to perfection.
zero.counter is offline   Reply With Quote