View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #19
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
I forgot about this thread and I hope to get some guides. I picked up a Canon 7D with standard lens + 50mm f1.4 lens and wondering what other lens you guys recommend?

For example, what type of lens should I use if I want to take awesome photos near and from a distance? Also, would these lens also be appropriate for videography?

Unless you can recommend a link/tutorial I can read, that would be great.
There's just so much to answering those questions.

I had a 7D when it first came out. Great little crop body. 50 1.4 was the first lens I bought...still have it. 50mm is just a great focal length because its closest to how our eye sees. I'm a fan of primes. For video or photo its always great to have the standard set of primes, 24mm, 35mm (my personal favorite focal length), 50mm, 85mm and then something longer like a 100mm or then a 70-200. Its always nice to have some zoom lenses too. Something wide like a 17-40 or 16-35 if you have the budget. The 24-70 II is a really great all around lens. SUPER sharp on the 5DSR body.

I'm fortunate to have access and usage of virtually every Canon piece of glass out there, even the TS lenses. Love those damn things.

If you are shooting video one of the best tools you can have around is the Manfortto Monopod. You can conduct interviews with it and do small camera movements. This is a must. Another thing is a slider. There are SOOOOO many sliders out there. I haven't kept up on whats the best or best bang for your buck lately since I don't shoot video all that often, but there are a ton of them and you can spend a little or a lot.

I recommend following Fstoppers. Lots of great info on there.

Also, if you plan on shooting a lot. Upgrade as soon as you can to a full frame body. It'll save you the trouble of having to sell MORE lenses later on.