View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 03:42 AM   #28
Jo_Galezo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Jo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
Not sure what everyone shoots but I'd like some second opinions about switching bodies... (Kinda of a rant)

Tired of the hassle of film 90% of the time I shoot, I love it but after going through all the film brands and iso to try i've got my hand few I can see myself using but I never have time to develop it myself so I have rolls sitting for month or a roll in my Nikon f3HP for months also because I dont want to spray and pray a shot so I take my time and only take a picture when its the right moment.

SOOO before film I had a canon t3i, been okay for family stuff. My mom originally bought but did all automatic setting, then when I got my 240 I didnt know anyone that took good pictures so I decided to learn. I just have the regular 50 1.8, kit lens and then a 75-300mm zoom.

Now Im thinking if I should stay canon or jump ship since I want to get into more professional work, do a bit of freelance, better quality pictures and go from there. My budget is around 800-1200ish for a body. Im stuck between going Canon 6Dmk1, Nikon D750, and then going mirrorless Sony....

Canon: Already have Canon lens but honestly its not even amazing glass. The 5 year old kit lens is okay, the 50mm 1.8 is standard and can get a auto lens on any body for similar price and then the zoom is meh which is less than 80$ and never ever use it outside when me and my brother played baseball.

Debated between going back to apsc and tbh I love shooting wideangle and landscapes so full frame is the way to go plus better resolution, more picture to work with editing etc so really only full frames are 6D and 5Dmk3 thats in my budget used/new.

So 6d would be amazing for stills no doubt but even though its lighter than the 5dmk3 having a DSLR like that and doing street pics will always bring attention since its a pretty big camera. I love taking out my F3 in busy areas and just point and shoot with not feeling like im invading someone privacy. If I have my t3i its a bit more clumsy to toss around and comparing my canon lens to something tiny like my 24mm nikkor no one notices it. I already have canon lens and its basically plug and play with no issues. Video on it would be good but even though picture wise it be better in low light and noise than the 80D it doesnt have all the focusing features and other little stuff like movable screen.

Nikon: Only Nikon I can see in my budget are the D750/D610 only issues I have with nikon bodies even though I LOVE my F3HP and my 50mm 1.2 and 24mm 2.4 nikkor lens is the button layout, have a lot of issues, been reading a lot of recalls for the D750 and there is no way I can do any video that I would feel come out any better than a newer phone shooting 4k. It would awesome to use my manual nikkor lens plug and play but honestly I could by a cheap canon adapter or sony to slap it on since it doesnt need any type of electronics. I would go nikon if I did more studio and sport photography having SD card options, higher FPS etc

Sony: Sony is just a mess of things lol, way newer, sensor is just a hair better in low light, better dynamic range but wont have as amazing colors or sharpness because of a sony sensor and not having canon glass. Has an EVF which has had a lot of good things said about it, focusing on it is no question better than DSLR only issue is when its low light it likes to hunt but they fixed the focus system from the a7 to a7II along with internal stabilization so for video work its perfect and if I shoot low light I can drop my shutter down to basically 1/8 or slower with decent pictures. Video wont be as clean noise wise at similar ISO but its not far behind the 6d but iso range is a lot higher. Has a single SD card like 6d, has focus peaking which is great when I shoot manual lens adapted. Not as well built and sealed as a canon but it weights about half and would be easy to shoot street since its so small and thin.

So im leaning more Sony A7II than Canon 6D on 3 things. Video, no question the sony would hold up better and they have flat picture log mods while with canon i'd at least need to install magic latern and I went through that hole long ago. If I switch to some sony/canon lens like get an adapter if I want to shoot more 4k video I could always pick up an A6300 used dumb cheap and use it just for video work whenever I feel like it. Newer technology than the canon so its semi future proof. I feel mirrorless system camera menu layout, EVF, etc will start going trickle downing to DSLR like built in image stabilization. Last is overall image quality which is moot to some but other will argue till theyre blue. Sony sensor is just way better for low light especially since I normally shoot my local meets or go out from 4pm-1am whenever Im not working. The other thing is dynamic range. The 6d is stunning like the 5dmk3 with really low noise up higher iso but besides that, getting canon glass which I can slap on the sony easily, I dont see myself staying Canon for its out of camera colors.

I have the D750 & i love it. I've litterally never had a problem with it. I've shot absoloutely everything there possibly is to shoot. From huge amazing weddings, to sport photography, to car meets. It performs amazing everytime. In my college classes i use the 5dmkiii and i still would choose the nikon over that. The low light capabilities completely demolish it & honestly the video isn't bad at all. It's all on your glass, i've taken some amazing video with mine. Obviously canon is way better in video in general but the 750 holds up. What i would suggest doing is renting both of the cameras for a weekend, might cost like 50 bucks and try them out & see which one you shoot better with because they are both amazing cameras. And damn over here in nyc there is a place called colorhouse & it's a film lab and they have same day development. I just go & drop it off and pick it up later for 8$. But both adorama.com & bhphotovideo have some great prices on used cameras which is how i got mine. I deff do suggest playing around with them for a weekend before you purchase them. You can rent at borrowlenses.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jo_Galezo is offline   Reply With Quote