View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #1
HellaSlowAndOld
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
HellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her selfHellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her selfHellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her self
1995-1998 s14 240sx infamous cracked fuel tank

If you own an s14, I'm sure you've heard about the cracking of the fuel tanks. We find threads as early as 2004 on 240sxforums.com, around 2010 here on zilvia, on nicoclub.com, on reddit etc. Almost every post/thread states its on the USDM passenger side strap, facing the engine bay. AND almost every image found online look nearly identical, its either one crack or 2 cracks almost side by side. location of the crack(s) are to the outside of the passenger side strap by the fuel tank strap pin.

the tank in my s14 cracked 2 months ago so I started my voyage...

OEM fuel tanks were discontinued around 2014 or so. Used tanks rang from $800-$1700. Going fuel cell is an option for some but being in California there are no smog legal fuel cells. And yes, some of us like me, want to keep our cars still street cars, preserve the s14 etc. Others are saying that Nissan used cheap plastic to make the tanks which results in rott/drying up of the plastic causing the crack(s). Plastic welding seems to be out of the question, patching the crack(s) seem to be a temporary fix for most.

The part number for the s14 fuel tank is 17202-15U51. The Nissan skyline r33 GTS-T and the Nissan Laurel C34 use the same tank. (https://www.nengun.com/oem/nissan/17202-15u51) So I googled to see what the r33 guys and C34 guys are doing regarding their cracked tanks. And I found nothing. So this entire time, could it be that the s14 passenger side fuel tank strap is just too tight from the factory? Or possibly too short? Causing the s14 gas tanks to create stress cracks over time only in that spot? Could simple adding ~3 washers to the fuel tank strap bolt help to save our tanks from cracking?
HellaSlowAndOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links