View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 06:21 PM   #14
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
My original 95' tank was fine until I went over some really rough roads out in the middle of nowhere. I took the car wayy out to no mans land for some test and tune and found the worst possible road I've ever seen, it really rattled the car up. Came back and smelled fuel... uh oh. The crack location was standard but I have a feeling if I never went over that rough road it would still be fine.
That's kind of in line with what I was thinking a while ago about bumpy and stiff suspension possibly not being good for these fragile gas tanks. My S14 is on Tein Flex, which is relatively soft, but there softer suspension options out there or I can even get something like Fortune Auto or Feal and have them spec'ed even softer. I also considered taking my solid subframe spacers out and I have aftermarket RUCAs too, but it's kind of extreme to replace those with oem arms and bushings since I don't think spherical bearings are that bad and the camber adjustability is convenient. Mainly the subframe bushings and coilovers/strut & spring assemblies, so solid subframe bushings are out of the question. I'll probably just replace the subframe and all other stock arm bushings with oem or Nismo or aftermarket oem rubber replacements if I can't find either when the time comes. You mentioned padding between the straps and plastic tank, which seems like a good idea too.

Interesting that in the last week or so, there have been tons of posts and talk about s14 fuel tanks in the various fb groups and two recent threads popping up on Zilvia. I guess it's around the time with these cars being over 25 yrs old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote