View Single Post
Old 07-27-2023, 05:20 AM   #1
MadMattDrifts

Trader Rating: (0)
MadMattDrifts is an unknown quantity at this point
SR20DET Timing Problem.

Can’t get this SR20DET to set time correctly.

Harmonic balancer is fine. Had the head off last Friday, verified that the mark on it matches the TDC of #1.

CAS has clear cover on it. I’m wondering if the previous owner took off the disk for some reason and installed it backwards.

Just verified the CAS trigger wheel installation, and it is correct. Will try to use a spark plug lead wire tomorrow, got a feeling my light is bad or I’m getting a bad signal from stock wiring.

- Pulled the cams, reset the chain, installed everything per FSM.
- Set the timing at 0? BTDC (second notch from the left), aligned the cams.
- Rotated the engine over five times to make sure all the marks line up, everything is fine.
- Aligned the CAS with a stud in the head, centered it.
- Aligned the second (furthest mark from the cap) on the CAS with the notch on the CAS.
- Installed it and the first mark was aligned with the notch.
- When the CAS is dead centered, car runs good. Pulls good. Does not get hot, but the timing on the light shows is at 40? BTDC or so (rough estimation). ECU shows steady 15?, idles good, pulls good.

- Adjusted the idle to about 900-950 or so.
- Went back to set the timing at 15? BTDC with the timing light, I have to turn the CAS back to btarded position. Car starts to run funny, hunts for idle, timing gets jumpy when taken out of timing mode. Has no power at all when doing a pull and it gets hot because timing is beyond btarded.

Neutral Position Switch is just jumped now to get the proper idle map.

I put the engine into timing mode both ways. With the DATASCAN ?Base Idle Adjustment? and the manual way, TPS off, rev past 3,000 three times. Both modes locked the ECU timing at 15?. When setting the BASE timing to 15? with the light, problems start to show up. I don?t understand how this is happening.

Car has TOMEI PONCAMS 258. RS Enthalpy tune.

This is the first SR to give me BS trouble like this. Kinda lost at this point. The only thing I noticed is that the IACV sits at 8% when it usually should be higher IMO. Seems like it might be stuck/dead and ECU is trying for it with timing. Will try testing that tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/89mLThwTUwk

MadMattDrifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links