Old 11-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #113
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
The HISTORY OF ZILVIA/ Geopolitical Analysis of Silvia culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
I know the HR is stout in comparison to the DE's, but I'm still not impressed by their output under boost. But I dunno... Comparing it to the much smaller and vastly more efficient F20C is probably warping my perspective. 500hp (HR) isn't bad at all really. But when I think that that is the limit of a modern 3.5L... Meh.

Once again, that is not "the limit". That is the limit of the stock rods and pistons.

As DrifFreaq said, the heads flow amazingly and the engine is stupid light.

It's not like they bust rockers, drop IMS bearings, suffer from porosity, core shifts or split blocks.

F20C blows in comparison to the K24. Yes, a few guys made 500hp on a F20C, many more have popped them at far less too.

Your also comparing a Mini-Van engine to a highly developed and specialized performance engine from one of the greatest engine makers of all time.

One of the reasons the old 90's turbo engine are so well built was because of the computer technology back then. Manufactures relied on simple fuel tuning and primitive reliability calculating software.

It's much easier today to determine minimal strength requirements in order to reduce cost and weight. You no longer need massive rods, iron blocks and all that other crap.

Manufacturers are plenty capable of over buildings engines when they want, just look at the LS, VR and Hemis.

The new Ford 5.0 is actually a modernized 4.6. Similar crank, same fucking rods. Ford pulled an ass ton of weight out of it, made a lighter block that is just as strong as the once grossly expensive Teksid (aka Ferrari) block and used actual rods this time instead of chicken bones.

End result, 4.6 2v/4v explodes at 400hp. 5.0's have seen 600-650hp. Rods once again being the limiter. The old FSB 302 would split in half at 400hp.

I've also see piles of 2Js with spun bearings at 500hp.

For every max power champ their is likely a dozen guys with popped motors.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote