View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #17
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I have really neglected to update this thread. Oh well, lets do one big update at once. Fortunately, a lot of progress has been made. THE CAR IS RED AGAIN.

Anyway, I guess I left off in December of 2018. Part of the lack of updates started because I bought a dream car of mine a 1976 Porsche 912e. I had been looking for an aircooled 911 for a while and this one happened to pop up for a pretty decent deal. There is definently a build planned for it but I wont clog this thread with too much of that.

Shortly after a bunch of maintenance items on that car and switching to the Fuchs, I reset my sights on the s13. Basically finishing aero fitment from December and some mechanical finishing up. I bought a set of Ganadors but I havent ended up using them. Just hoarding for another project I have in mind.

I flip flopped a few times on what I wanted the car to look like. I switched from the 180sx skirts to Shine Auto Spec-G. Revgasm's 180sx when it had the white TEs was a pretty big inspiration at this point.

Sidenote, I drove to New York at the beginning of this year to pick up a 2.7 engine for my Porsche. That was an adventure in its own right and much needed. The 912e is by far the slowest car I have ever driven.

Prep towards painting the car has been happening in some capacity the entire duration. A majority of the recent progress actually came from the Corona virus. I was notified of furloughs at my work and needed something to occupy my two weeks off. The fire was lit and I worked my ass off to meet my deadline.

Keep in mind, I have never done autobody in my life. The extent of my knowledge came from forums, Youtube, and bugging the shit out of my more talented friends. Primer went relatively smoothly all things considers. I could use a bit more space but otherwise it was fine. Unfortunately I spilled Acetone on the passenger fender and fucked it up so that had to be redone.

After fixing a few dents in the roof and hatch, I primed again and sealed the car. The color (AH3 Cherry Red) really looked amazing in the can but I was just excited to see the car all in one shade (even if it was grey). My problems began here though. For whatever reason, I was getting fisheyes like crazy on the basecoat.

I must have bought four dryers and a million moisture traps but nothing worked. The minute the pump turned on, they would fill with water and oil. Frustrating. I laid in my driveway for like an hour making a list on my phone with partout prices. I was beyond done with the car. Fortunately, a buddy of mine with more experience came down with a better compressor, lines, and water traps. Seemed to resolve a lot of my problems. Thanks Michael! He sprayed the base and clear and given the conditions did a great job.

Thats pretty much where we are now. Im basically doing some work to inspect and register the car now. A few people have asked about the Abflugs and they will be installed eventually. I need to make/buy the lenses and didnt finish before I had to go back to work. Here's my most recent pictures, I havent installed the G-grow valance either but itll be on shortly too.

Thanks for looking!