View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #1311
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Seems like it'd be more cost effective to design a bracket around an OEM rotor though, right?

I'm probably not looking at rear brakes this season, my R33s will have to cut it for now. The C4 Front kit with 2pc is gonna eat up the rest of my winter build money for the car. Hoping to pull the trigger on the fronts within the next 4 weeks or so, depending on when that W2 shows up haha

If only running the fronts, whats the best setup for master/booster? Lots of street use, + track days.

More cost effective and simple for the end user, for sure. Still a good deal heavier and not as good as a rotor casting as the 2-piece setup. Regardless, I will refocus some effort on the Z33-wilwood caliper combo.

We've run all three MC sizes on our endurance race car and we all liked the feel of the 17/16" the best. Next in line was the 1" MC and then the 15/16" felt too mushy.

The biggest issue with Nissan chassis/brake systems when starting to run race compounds is sensitivity and modulation. This is why I also suggest the B13 Sentra booster which bolts right on and is smaller than the single diaphragm S13 unit and helps with this.

What isn't obvious is that all 3 of the MC's have different internal rear pressure split points/proportioning. The 17/16" MC has the highest split point at 498psi, and the 1" MC the lowest at 353psi.

The interesting thing here is that, at least on the best/grippiest 200tw tires, hitting 500psi brake system pressure is basically at/near the max of braking (based on datalogging) on track/during races. That means with a 17/16" MC, you'll essentially never proportion the rear brake pressure leading up to threshold braking. It is best to use an external proportioning valve on the 17/16" MC if you're not running real functional aero and slicks.

With a 1" MC, the split point is at a range that seems more useable for most people.