View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #415
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Actually every top tier motorsport (WRC, F1, Drifting, IMSA, etc) uses twisted harnesses, either concentric or parallel. The benefits are greater flexibility, small package size, and superior strain relief. Also CAN bus harnesses require twisting to function properly. The only sensors that require shielded wire are piezoelectric sensors (knock) and magnetic triggers. The shielded wire is just incorporated into the twisted harness in these cases.

Plug wires are a special case.
Interesting, I hadn't seen that before.

I realized some of the shielded looms I'm thinking of are also high voltage, like diesel injectors, so I suppose the shield over the whole loom is to keep the interference in, not out.

Do you have a background in electronics or wiring? I'd be interested in the jigs or techniques you're using - I enjoy wiring, but you're way over my head.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote