View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #45
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
My mistake* To my understanding I thought a vlsd was a clutch type..
No, if it was a clutch type people wouldn't be preloading it.

A VLSD is based on the viscous fluid dynamic to create a "drag" between the 2 halves inside the differential.

When 1 wheel starts to spin, the guts of the VLSD, more importantly the viscous fluid, will start to drag the other half along with it, creating a "differential" type effect, where both wheels are spinning.

A good example of this would be to take a glass of water, put some ice in it, and wet down the surface where the glass of water will sit on, and start spinning the glass. You should see the glass go first, then the ice will eventually start spinning along with the glass.

That motion is the same type of motion that happens inside a VLSD.

It has no clutch plates like the clutch type LSDs do.

Helical LSDs also do not have clutch plates. Helical LSDs are all gear based, no clutch plates.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote