View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 AM   #68
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
cfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond repute
How did you mess the clear up sanding? I never use less than 1000grit and I hardly use that. Mostly 1500 and 2000... I have no need to make the paint look perfect. I'm always very generous with my clear but if your not confident throw down alot of coats for insurance. I do 3 coats of clear on every paint job... Basically just one light for a tack coat then I've gotten really good with spraying so I go pretty heavy on the 2nd coat and the 3rd I really lay it on thick and I run it sometimes but that just means I'm definately getting it on thick. I can spray it on so thick now by the third coat it lays down so flat I just hit any runs with 1000 then get the whole car with 1500 pretty good and just go over it with the 2000 to soften the scratches.

I did get some info from my friends body shop while I was in Vegas. They use wool pads for cutting and foam for polishing compounds and they use 3m. Then they had a finish polish to completely remove the swirl marks and they use a foam pad for that as well. I forget the name I know my local paint store doesn't carry it but they assured me they had something that was the same just different brand.