View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #47
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
I got a chance to look at one of the 9k Racing panels in person recently. It's actually pretty thin and the bottom of it is the usual fiberglass with what looks like a layer of carbon fiber on top to make it look nice. (I'm assuming this is what is meant when people say companies like VIS don't make real carbon fiber hoods, it's really all fiberglass with a layer or two of carbon fiber on top for looks). The hood latch area also needs to be notched/dremeled because it doesn't match the hood latch location. In all, it's what should be expected from a "made in china/ebay" product.

Anyways, after looking at that piece, I'm hoping yours is of much higher quality. I don't know too much about carbon fiber manufacturing (need to learn more about kevlar, dry carbon, etc.), but I do know that fiberglass with a layer of carbon is not real cf. Garage Defend is probably real cf.

Can you explain some carbon fiber basics? I'm assuming yours is full carbon throughout and you mention vacuum bagging? What is that? Will it have the carbon weave appearance on the bottom and top of the panel and basically all around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote