View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #166
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinGST View Post
will maaco paint with your own paint or do you have to use some cheap stuff you buy from them??? i've heard if you do all the prep depending on the store maaco jobs arent bad. your car turned out awesome btw... how is the paint now? still as good as before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
dunno if that would work.. when i took my s13 to maaco after i prepped it, they said "well since you did your own prep work, we will not warrenty it

but when i had that done, they had a bunch of lowriders and custom cars being done , and to me, my car came out awesome but i spent like $900 cuz i had them spray parts individually, gave them fiberglass fenders, 4 pc bodykit, rear spoiler all seperate and a lil repair work to teh spoiler and weld/shave one of the rear quarter lights

One thing you need to consider about a Maaco is that they paint thousands of vehicles a year (thats 1/2 the battle) and most great paint jobs are the result of clean booths and controlled temperatures (the other 1/2 the battle).

And if you can do your own prep beforehand . . . and i mean strip it down, remove obstacles like lights and hardware, and pay a little extra for dent repair and such, youll have an awesome paint job. It will be MUCH BETTER than a Garage job!

I had Macco shoot two of my cars (the kids cars so i didnt give a fuck) and they came out pretty damn good.

And it doesnt hurt to offer the guys cash and tip the best guy in the shop so he takes a little extra time on it for ya.

Ive considered this ^^ myself for the next build. We will see.

Oh, and about the "cheap paint". Its all about "getting what you pay for". Most shops, like the Maaco's, will offer different paints depending on how much you pay. Just as they ALL will make color sanding, clear coat, prep, 2-stage, etc . . ala-carte items. Cause of cheap asses like us!

My original write up was for the average do-it yourselfer or for those who want something ALOT better than rattle-can. But there are alot of us who dont even have the basics like a garage or gun to even start something like this.

Just throwin this out there.