View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 AM   #41
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
cfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond repute
I mean I'm not even talking the best quality materials... If you really want to put enough effort into it then you can get great results. There are alot of factors in painting a car. The biggest thing I've come upon is a good booth. I'm searching for perfection tho... Alittle dust or lint isn't going to be that noticable but if you know it's there than it is. I just painted my new track car over the past few days and man was it hell... I had to sand for 2 days to remove the single stage paint that was on the car. I knew it wasn't prepped properly underneath and went at it. Then the heat was a battle too cause your fighting to get the paint/clear thick enough to lay flat but it's still drying fast even with slow hardeners and whatnot...

In the end it's all good cause I can just sand out imperfections... I mean a bodyshop can charge $1,500 for just a base/clear and thats not top qaulity product or any finish work... Yeah if I had a good booth I could spray a car and have it look great without any finish sanding but it always helps. $500 is a great alternative to that if your not looking for perfection... You did it yourself too so you know it's right. You can't tell how a car is prepped underneath... Being able to pressure wash your car when it gets dirty and the biggest thing for me is I don't have to go through layers when I repaint. A color on a car wont last me too long so I definately don't want to spend body shop money and I don't need show qaulity so it works...

I got some rough numbers too... The paint along with catalyst and everything was roughly $120 and that was 1 1/2 gallons sprayable once you mix it. That was for just a basic color no metallic. The clear came out to $110 with everything which was xtreme clearcoat. The primer was $65 so yeah thats your material costs... Maybe I'll put up some pictures of the paint on the car I just painted... I took the time to sand it heavily before I buffed it out and I can see my reflection in the side of it like a mirror it just took alot of work...