View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 05:30 AM   #127
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quick middle of season update:
With the cost of gas this year, I haven't nearly been driving around aimlessly as much as normal. Especially having 3 vehicles, it gets expensive quick. I've been trying to fix some things that were managable previously, but honestly, I couldn't be happier after fixing them.

First thing I did was grab the radium bulkhead fittings and re-wired my fuel pump hangar. I was having issues where my fuel gauge (Speedhut) wouldn't hold a calibration and was driving me nuts. I would fill the car, set the gauge to "full" and a mile down the road it would read 3/4 tank. I wasn't sure if it was the gauge or the hangar, but this seemed like a good upgrade anyways, and it did fix my issue.

The next thing thing I tackled was adding an IAC. I've never had an IAC. The car would idle pretty well, but it was basically undrivable unless I let it warm up for ATLEAST 5 minutes, even if I wanted to move it in / out of the garage. Occasionally, if I was turning at idle and the fan/or fans kicked on (I have them at staggered temperatures) the car would die. It was really annoying to say the least. After some research, I settled for the Ford 2 wire IAC (Motorcraft CX1917). The comination of cheap, readily available new, and simple was the deciding factor for me. Also, while I was adding wires to my harness, I added 2 wires and pinned them for an electric boost controller for the potential future.

I pulled the plenum off, and brought it over to Precision Speed LLC over in CT for some modfications. Xcessive sells a flange for this IAC, so I had it welded on.

Without a check valve, it will be a boost leak. Precision Speed then machined the flange to accept the Toyota Supra factory check valve. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Their work and products are second to none. Very lucky to have such a place local.

And while it was off, I gave it a quick polish.

My last order of business outside of regular maintenance, and driving around drinking coffee, was fixing my horns. An hour worth of work is something i've been putting off for years. I beep them fairly often just to make sure they still work.

https://i.imgur.com/96GPjsM.mp4

Edit: I forgot to add some stuff from the spring, so here it is.

When I was putting the car back together, I was tightening the passenger rear wheel while the car was on jackstands, and noticed some play. The ISIS Ruca heim joint(s) had a ton of play in them. I contacted ISR directly to see if they offered a replacement heim, and they told me they did not. Instead of doing some research, I opted to replace entirely with SPL RUCA, as it is a much more robust AND serviceable arm. I did the same with the tension rods, as they were in the same condition. I understand the RUCA's look like shit, and its no wonder the heims failed. Its from years of spraying dry silicone lubricant on them to stop a squeak I haven't been able to find yet, although this did cut it down a lot..

And while I was in there, I got the POR15 back out.

The Moroso battery box I installed in the last post is excellent, but I wasn't in love with the battery tie down. It was difficult to get a deep socket down between the tie down and box, and instead of finding the thinnest socket possible, or running a spacer to raise the nut, I opted to have Precision Speed LLC make me a billet battery tie down.

Back to the "small but cheap mods that make a difference": I carefully pried the trim rings off my defi gauges (boy was this nerve racking at first) and sprayed them SEM trim black to match my AEM Uego. This is something that I've been putting off for years, and can't believe I lived without for so long. Yes, I know the UEGO comes with a removable silver trim ring, but it looks like shit.

Last edited by tuzzio; 08-17-2022 at 04:49 AM..
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote