Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #104
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
I was reading an article about aviation fuels and the likes of other 100+ octane fuels. It mentioned something about even though it may have a high octane reading, certain forms have different burn rates, some fast some slow. so thats something to consider. I'll try and find it again and post the link but I would think if you could find the burn rate of standard gasoline of whatever octane you usaully run and then find the 100+ octane fuel with a similar burn rate then that wouldn't be a bad thing. My thought is that that the burn rate of the fuel or time it takes to burn would be almost as important as the mechanical timing, maybe equally important but I'm no fuel junky either. I think codyace has a point in just because its aviation fuel doesn't necessarily mean its good/better for you r car. And with a sig containing such a glorious mustache, he's gotta be on to something. Maybe it just so happens that the aviation fuel your using is acceptible but with all the time and money spent on your motor, it might be worth lookin into.
You did make me think of something although i dont know if this confirms or denys anything, just food for thought.
In aircraft, the timing usually goes "all in" when the engine is up to speed. The engines do however tend to run at a steady rpm for the most part. The thing the pilot does do though is watch egts and adjust the fuel trim based off of that. Im yet to see one with a wideband but have only been in a few aircraft. I was really interested in seeing what air fuel ratios were being ran on the twin 500hp turbo flat 6 engines. I was inable to talk him into letting me hook up my lm1 though.
Anyways, it seemed really primitave for them to leave timing fixed and adjust egt by fuel trim only. You would think with as terrible the fuel economy as you get in a 7 passenger plane that there would be more ways to optomise its output.

That said, the fuel must be pretty stable and forgiving considering the lack of feedback of afr and running a fixed timing value considering these engines seem to be reliable.

Id hate to loose an engine on one of those planes. The glide ratio is terrible, you drop right out of the sky if you throttle down!
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote