View Single Post
Old 07-25-2023, 09:26 PM   #58
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
MAY 2023

Continuing from my last update, I chipped away some more on the rear valance.

I had a couple of ideas to fill the exhaust cutout, and found expanding foam to be the most convenient.

Taped it up to cover the pores, and prep for mold making:

Voila! Not bad at all!

Sanded the back side to have a smooth, matching contour with the rest of the piece:

The sides had pretty poor alignment to the quarter panel/overfender, even before I cut out the original pieces.

I measured how much taller I needed to make it and put reference tape 1" down from the final height.

Then used signboard as a backing, and put another reference tape 1" from the bend so I could align the two.

Extended, then rough shaping:

Fitment check:

Now that I was done replacing my heater core and no longer found coolant leaking inside, the carpet finally went back in.

JUNE

Here's where the drama begins.

So, the car sat for a couple weeks just because I had a better car to drive for a bit. Then I had plans to drive it down to San Diego one weekend, so I went to take it to the coin wash.

While I was waiting for a stall, I saw the car started overheating. Turned it off, opened the hood, and coolant was boiling out of my overflow.

Welp, there goes my plans to drive down. I was pretty annoyed because just last month I took for a 100-mile cruise on my birthday!

I assumed maybe SOMEHOW I still had air in the system from when I changed the heater core, so I bled the system. It still overheated.

Talked to some people and was convinced to check my thermostat. The current thermostat was only a few years old; I changed it back in 2019 which was roughly only 50,000 miles ago.

This time, I thoroughly bled the system, about 3 times over the span of the weekend.

30 year old gunk from the old heater core:

Test drives yielded acceptable results so I drove it to work the following Monday. It overheated 3 times that morning.

Weird thing is, it stopped overheating on the way back home, so it was very intermittent overheating.

Ran a compression check:

Nothing crazy. Oil dipstick was clean, too.

Had the cooling system pressure tested at work and found there was a TIIIINY leak somewhere. SO most likely a head gasket issue, considering basically my whole cooling system is only 3 years old at this point.

*SIGH* Here we go

-------------