View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #98
91 240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
91 240 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I haven't updated this thread in a while. I've been battling cooling issues lately.

I decided to go ahead and ditch my current 14" Zirgo (2300cfm) fan and custom shroud setup for a Taurus fan with Volvo relay set up.

First, I had to trim the fan shroud as it was a little wide for my radiator. I trimmed and fiberglassed the section removed to seal in the area trimmed off.

Next, I had to move the radiator forward another 3" and down 1". Ending up having to cut out the entire upper core support. Cutting out the core support, I also lost my hood latch. I have a set of Aerocatch pins that i'll be adding. Also had to cut/patch the filler neck to clear the hood

Finally, I had to relocate my p/s cooler under the driver side wheel well.

First impressions are AWESOME! right now I have the fans set to come on at 200* and off at 190*. On low speed, it takes about 20 seconds to drop temps 13* at idle. Bled the coolant for 40 minutes and never peaked over 201*.

Driving tests with no hood or front bumper were also very solid. 80-85* outside, 20 mile stop and go trip showed the same results....202* max while sitting at a light and quickly dropped to 190* with the fan. Cruising temps stayed right around 187-190*. I know this is not an accurate test as the hood and bumper will impact airflow, but it's a hell of a start.

Finally, I've started a little bit of work on my hood to incorporate a GT500 hood vent. Right now it's just a few pilot holes and measuring before I cut out the necessary section. Here's crappy pic of the vent just lying on the hood in the general area.

I've also added a MGW shifter to replace the Hurst Billet. 3rd gear would hit the shifter trim and kick out of gear occasionally. Offset of the MGW is spot on. Shifting is awesome with this!! Reverse can be a little touch sometimes, but manageable.