View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #115
91 240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
91 240 is on a distinguished road
Man, i haven't updated this thread in quite a while.

after my last post, i've changed quite a bit on the car. Swapped in a set of LS3 heads and intake. had a custom spec'd cam made did some street tuning. Drove for a few months pretty solidly but didn't get it dyno'd again.

this was a couple months back. since then i was still troubleshooting the cooling issues during the summer here in Texas. I cut up my stock hood to mimic a vent as an experiment. Turns out it worked pretty well. With there not being many vented hoods for the 240 that i liked, i ordered one from Japan. Took over a month to be made and shipped, but was worth it.

I got an Origin Aero Type 1 FRP hood. I have a few mods to make to clear the motor, but outside of that, i just need to prep and paint it. I've got some Summit Satin Hot Rod Black (matte black) to paint the hood in the short term, but long term the entire car.....maybe later this summer, hopefully.

I had a set of AeroCatch hood pins in my stock hood, but i dont want to cut up this FRP hood, so i've decided to revert back to the stock hood latch setup. this required getting a new upper radiator core support as it has the hood latch mount. I got a nose cut section from a friend for this. I cut the upper support out and the have corresponding headlight support brackets. I'm in the process of cutting out what i currently have on the car now. More on the deconstruction of the car to come.

Moving back to the stock core support and hood latch, means i have to move the radiator back about 5". The current Taurus fan is too deep, so i'm working on a new shroud/fan set up and also leads to this next update. My current turbo crossover runs right infront of the waterpump pulley which is pretty tight for the radiator and fan.

I've been planning a new turbo setup for months and now have to do it to fit everything. I got a recent shipment from Ace Race Parts, all stainless that will be fully tigged and back purged. More pics of the fab work coming. For now, here's some good polished stainless piping goodness.

1/2" manifold, turbo and wastegate flanges
1 5/8" 304l 16ga tubing for wastegate
1 3/4" 304l 16ga tubing for manifolds and going to make custom collectors
2.5" 304l 16ga tubing for crossover
turbo blanket
2.5" stainless vbands
flat and round bar for bracing
trying to decide if i want 3" or 3.5" for the downpipe. This should keep me busy for a while

More to come.....