View Single Post
Old 05-11-2023, 05:55 AM   #18
thermogod
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
thermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Gotta love the ol' 25 cent FICD valve delete.
it's the cheapest solution, eh?

PART 2! Thank you falkon, no worries.

so i had it posted for sale...until I realize that my Wiring Specialties harness was getting stretched. when I reinstalled the manifold and fuel rail over the wiring harness, I had to stretch the harness wire to reach the injectors and the #1 injector plug wasn't making good contact. so I move the harness to OVER the manifold and now it starts?again with a loud ticking noise and white smoke from my exhaust?bad-headgasket-colored smoke. and now it dies when I rev it.

again, I think of reposting my sale ad.

until, one of the friends I met at Lock City suggests I pull the distributor out, move it one tooth to the left, and time it. that's easy since the previous owner had NO bolts holding the distributor on. it was running 10 degrees of timing, so I set it to 20 and the ticking went mostly quiet. I believe it was the sound of detonation from improper spark/fuel/air/timing, I'm not an expert. the idle dropped down to 1100 (which is apparently normal for a manual swap).

?and now my KA refused to restart unless it sat for 30+ minutes. I pulled my injectors to check if the seals were allowing fuel to leak and flood a cylinder.

realized that every O-ring was absolutely destroyed. each injector also had broken pintle caps and looked like ass, so I replaced all of them and the seals. but I forgot one important step?

with my brand new injectors and seals, it still wouldn't restart. now I could smell fuel after running the car. and now I would hear a bubbling noise when the fuel pump primed. I tell my roommates, that's it, I'm selling it.

until, I pull the injectors AGAIN. ALL of the upper and lower o-rings are destroyed AGAIN. and I finally realize?.it's because I installed them with 0 lubrication into a dry fuel rail. do not do that. I'll tell you, buying just a bottle of vaseline from CVS gets you some looks, but do not forget to lube your seals.

so after replacing new injector seals with new injector seals, it stopped running rich, would restart, crank, turn over, and?still refused to rev. I couldn't get it to NOT die in gear or under throttle no matter how I played with the timing.

so I (wrongly) decided it was still an improper injector installation issue, and posted on FB that I was looking to buy a complete fuel rail.

and I will always thank this random dude Sal for commenting?"are you sure you have a fuel issue if your timing is right? Have you checked your spark plugs?"

no, Sal, I did not check my plugs. they looked like this. likely because the car had been running "hella rich" for months, years, or since whenever it ended up with a 1989 KA24E ECU?

i just bought what google said was the right OEM plug (NGK Iridium) and didn't mess with the gap (0.044).

and then? I picked up and installed some OEM wheels for 100 bucks, and pulled it off jacks and out of the garage for the first time in 3 months.

under its own power, not in limp mode, for the first time in several years. With the 2014 NYC registration sticker still on the windshield, I went out and drove it.

the steering column was making contact with the ebay headers, so the steering sucked. But the brakes worked - the trans shifted nicely except the 3rd gear synchro (which I would later fix). No matter what happened after this, IT DROVE!

and then the temp gauge kept climbing. I hadn't touched the cooling system up to this point. I realized that
1) The radiator was completely incorrect for the car (and was missing the fan shroud)
2) The coolant was completely brown
3) That ain't right

radiator out. drained this absolutely horrible coolant. Took 6 flushes to get the system clean - I think this car was sitting with full fluids for several years. thermostat and housing were messed up. found an S14 koyo for $200, which meant I could now use the OEM shroud. installed the radiator, an overflow tank, the shroud, reconnected everything, bled the system.

cleaned and reinstalled thermostat with a new gasket with the thermostat weep hole at the 12pm position.

part 3 coming.