View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Aaj2k5
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Aaj2k5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Project: SteeZee - 1973 Datsun 240Z LQ9 V8 Build

My entire direction for this build changed within 3 days. Friday night was spent researching the S30 chassis. Saturday night I went and took a look at a disassembled car and put the deposit down. Sunday night I picked up this 1973 240Z - Project "Steezee" and brought the rust bucket back to the shop.

Looks half decent with some Blitz Type 03's..

This is what I was building before this past weekend;

Left my shop in Tavistock (~2000 sqft) and crammed everything into my garage (~200 sq ft) FML. I'll miss the shop mascot though.

Figured it was time for a legit rotisserie -

Stripped all paint off the car, as well as up to 3/8" thick of bondo off the roof and rear quarters even though the metal on the roof was perfect, and it looked as though they tried to reshape the contours of the rear for no particular reason. Used stripper, sandblaster as well as blowtorch and scraper. Primered it, and will get little spot touch ups when time comes for paint.

I'm set for fuel and efan.

5 bolt had to be removed from the aluminum R34 knuckle so I can use the Z32 big spline 5 lug.

Z32 Big Spline 5 Lug, S14 Front spindles, FLCA.

Pic shows one coat of paint stripper left on for 10 minutes which was wiped off and then a coat of easy off to degrease. Works wonders.

Started to measure & design my build in Solidworks. Have the 5 lug, Q45 output shafts, Brake rotors, as well as starting on engine.

Picked up a new cowl piece - thx JP.

Cleaned up and painted the Z32 5 lug and R34 knuckles.

Sample of the undercoat vs rust vs cleaned up:

A buddy hooked me up with a E36 M3 Dash, centre console, glovebox, trim etc.. Will need a tiny bit of trimming obviously, but is almost the same curve and width as S30. E46 M3 Cluster looks alot nicer, so i'll probably end up going for it.

Started hacking the E36 dash with a dremel + sawblade.

Soo the only reason I was using the M3 E36 dash was because a stock one cost a fortune in good shape. Until I met a guy who lives a few streets over from me and he hooked me up.

'72 240Z Dash - professionally restored
Heater center vent
Centre Console
BNIB dash side vents
Glove box
Dash to windshield trim
Tail light finisher pieces

Enough speak, more pics.

Also started fitting the S14 suspension to S30 subframe.

And fabbed up some arms to hold the front on rotisserie.

Picked up a new hood instead of trying to save the bondo bucket that came with it.

Front half of the rotisserie done.

Last edited by Aaj2k5; 09-03-2018 at 10:39 AM..
Aaj2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links