View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #18
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
I guess I never considered that a JZ/RB could be inferior to a single cam pushrod engine out of a chevy tahoe. Eye opener for sure.
Oh no.
TAHOE engine uses the IRON block variant.

Those are very heavy. I do not think they belong in Nissan 240sx cars.

What I am referring to is the ALUMINUM L33 engine, a very specific model of 5.3L capable of 1200-1600 Horsepower. It is a record breaker, a record holder.

And very affordable. But they do not come in any Tahoe haha.

The reason it is comparable is due to the design and weight. Same OEM piston material science as a 2jz for example. Similar girdle. And so forth
The reason it is superior is due to the displacement and weight. Being lighter and larger does that if it can actually support the additional power that the increase in displacement offers. Most engines cannot make that claim, they may be larger but have severe limitations and upper limits to the power they can support. For example every 5+ liter engine ever made before 2003 by chevrolet is dog shit compared to the 2jz. It wasn't until the L33 that things got spicy. And anything after that is chock full of additional unwanted garbage that makes the swap more complex and difficult to deal with.

And the main reason it is ideal for 240sx swaps specifically is due to it's being a Gen3 electronics, which are the simplest SEQ-EFI to deal with, the least amount of extraneous bullshit to deal with (no VVT no DOD no weird oil issues or gen4 setup to deal with) YET It still contains those Gen4 internals which makes it an easy target for 800rwhp to 1200rwhp setups.

Sorry about the intrusion but I feel that everything that needs to be said about JDM engines and pricing has already been said, and I wanted to bring this to the table as a potentially profitable and or superior swap objective, as few people understand that while those 02-07 truck engines in general are very good, only one of them stands out as a "superior to 2jz/RB" aspect

Mainly this is for those people who don't care about what engine they use, they just want the most power, the most capable, most affordable, easiest to swap, etc.... And the L33 is that stand out option. I want to give everyone hope and open a new opportunity for you guys, because most of this stuff is not really common knowledge among 240sx owners yet. And chances are someone near you has one of these engines available immediately.