View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #73
CursedGTR
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
CursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfection
update

Finally got back to work in the past few days. Did not have a camera for a while so some pics do not have progress just end result.
Summary of owrk completed.
- Cut front of frame rails to allow for recession of 5 core interccoler so that it fits behind the bumper without cutting the crap out of it.
- Welded end plates onto the frame rails and grinded, filled and primed them.
- Mocked up intercooler to determine proper measurements for some brackets and measured it all out.
- finished sanding the car with 400 grit and layed new primer coat (will sand with 600 grit int he next couple of days)
- Removed vertical supports in the core support to allow for fans, radiator and intercooler to fit in as small a place possible.

Work Pending (next 7-10 days) -
- Weld new mounting bungs onto intercooler bottom side and top side
- Make cutom headlight brackets
- Vent the front bumper to get as much airflow as possible.
- Put Engine in the Chasis and determine the routing of the intercooler piping (only so I can cut holes before paint).
- determine radiator placement (if it does not fit how I want it to, it is going in the trunk).
- Make intercooler mounting brackets.
- change subframe bushings
- Reinforce Subframe.

Picture of Chasis BEFORE Cutting Frame Rails

Picture of Chasis AFTER cutting Frame Rails and removing vertical beams in Core Support.

Mocking up the intercooler

Checking to make sure the bumper will fit

The proposed mounting location for the top Intercooler mounts (the majority of weight will be supported by the bottom mounts).

The Bottom Interccoler mount is going to tie into the fron subframe (the one that holds the tension rods and the radiator) Here are some pictures of the beginnings of figuring out how to do it. I think I got the idea that I want to use so I am heading to a shop to see about getting the mounts made (Hoefully one piece Billet dealies) and some bungs welded to the bottom in the necessary places to make it work.

The aluminum squares were being use to figure out how thick a bracket would have to be to become flush. That way from there I know how thick to make the bracket in order to make it meet up with the bung on the intercooler and merry up nice and securely. I am very sure the end product will look very professional and be reliable and functional as a mount.

The beginings of what is to become a collection of suspension pieces (HKS Hyper Drag Coilovers) Not so good for Highspeed stuff but great for drag racing. Figure I will have to get a different set when it comes time to do other things with the car.

Last edited by CursedGTR; 09-02-2007 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Spelling Errors