View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #282
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
It?s only good if it doesn't?t induce lift. The more important aspect is that fresh, cool air is getting to the filter. Venting would allow the trapped air to escape, while still providing a cleaner, denser supply of air.

Think of it just like the fender wells. Most try to eliminate the pockets and relieve the rear fender area to allow the positive pressure to escape.
Hmm noted. Maybe some louvers in the wheel well? I'll have to do some experimenting.

So, on the two tone, I ended up sending out 6 injectors to RC Fuel Injection (10/10 recommend. 1 day turnaround!) because they were crusty as hell. The flow numbers on a couple were only around 100cc lmao. Got them back and plopped them in the car, slightly adjusted timing, and the car ran amazing, even with the harness moving around.

I took the car out to Mexico for some test runs and had zero issues. I finally seemed to have solved it, so I loaded up and headed to the track for my first comp in 4 years.

And then....

First run out it started doing the same shit again. I spent the entire day diagnosing. Two of my team mates who are actually mechanically competent lent a hand and were stumped. Checked the fuel pump wiring, changed the pump (again), checked battery connection, alternator, belts, timing (again), tps, injectors (again), harness, and some other things I'm forgetting. Nothing made a difference. One thing I learned though: a nickel perfectly fits in the O2/EGT port perfectly, just in case the welds the PO did on the bung to block it off blow out lol

The good news is: we pinpointed prolonged WOT as the cause of the issue, so I was able to get in a few clean laps feathering the throttle around the track as if I had a ton of power.

The bad news is: I made a promise to myself that I'd never waste another year building/troubleshooting a "side project" and gave myself 6 months to get this thing sorted. I started piecing the car together in early March, so 6 months has come and gone with no progress, so I made the difficult decision to let go of the car.

Last pic in the garage

Sad, but life goes on

I probably should have given up on the two d-car solution long ago. I probably would have a driving turbo k24 coupe by now if I had, but you live and you learn!