View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #118
serious_student
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
serious_student is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, this industry really has filled up with snobs over the years. Only a few people in this entire thread offered this kid some help. Weren't we all new to this game at one point? I worked on my first 240 12 years ago. I bought it for 400 bucks from an ad I read in a newspaper. Yeah son, an actual newspaper. I had a friend who had been stationed in Japan while on tour in the Air Force. I asked him a million questions about drifting and s chassis setup. He answered all of my questions and was genuinely helpful. I am guessing that is the type of treatment this kid was expecting when he posted his question. This industry needs less assholes and more mentors. How else can we grow? People should be excited to jump into the car scene because of how they are treated. People shouldn't think "screw getting an S chassis, people who drive them are dicks."

So here ya go kid:

First of all, I am assuming you want to drift a car at events and learn how to drive well.

1. find a mechanically sound car. Have a qualified person or a mechanic inspect it. Make sure the frame is straight. Buy a car with dents, they are cheaper. You don't need a flashy car with bodykits and wheels because you're going to smash it up anyways. Don't spend more than 1500 bucks on your first one, watch out for salvage titles and cars with back fees.

2. Change you own oil, learn about the ins and outs of the car. take it apart, put it back together, have someone watch over your work who knows what they are doing.

3. Buy new brake pads that grip hard and used coilovers of a decent quality, not some garbage from ebay. Buy rear adjustable control arms, used. Now you can set up your camber. have someone help you set it up. Get a drift spin knob and disable your e brake button, and tighten the 10mm nut in the e-brake handle until the brake grabs nice and crisp.

4. get a used bucket seat to hold your little ass in place.

There you go. decent bare bones drift car setup for around 2500 bucks. Get a helmet and keep it off the street. Enjoy!

Last edited by serious_student; 11-24-2013 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: accidentally hit enter