View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #48
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
AngryPanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
I got a chance to look at one of the 9k Racing panels in person recently. It's actually pretty thin and the bottom of it is the usual fiberglass with what looks like a layer of carbon fiber on top to make it look nice. (I'm assuming this is what is meant when people say companies like VIS don't make real carbon fiber hoods, it's really all fiberglass with a layer or two of carbon fiber on top for looks). The hood latch area also needs to be notched/dremeled because it doesn't match the hood latch location. In all, it's what should be expected from a "made in china/ebay" product.

Anyways, after looking at that piece, I'm hoping yours is of much higher quality. I don't know too much about carbon fiber manufacturing (need to learn more about kevlar, dry carbon, etc.), but I do know that fiberglass with a layer of carbon is not real cf. Garage Defend is probably real cf.

Can you explain some carbon fiber basics? I'm assuming yours is full carbon throughout and you mention vacuum bagging? What is that? Will it have the carbon weave appearance on the bottom and top of the panel and basically all around?
yes it is 100% carbon fiber with epoxy resin, why epoxy and not polyester like every one else, when polyester is up to 1000% cheaper? Polyester never fully hardens. Meaning its constantly letting off solvents in its life time. This causes shrinking and warping.Also because how polyester is linked at a molecular level, it is weaker then epoxy. Epoxy has higher heat resistance, it fully cures and is stronger.
Vacuum bagging is a process where the laminate is sealed in a plastic film along with other materials where the air is pumped out. the pressure differential between the outside of the bag and inside creates compacting pressure, this pressure in-turn compacts the laminate under the film bleeding off all excess resin and air. Creating a a part that is both light and strong.
For a part to be both light and strong it needs to have little resin as possible without having too little that it does not saturate the fabric. 70 percent fiber to 30 percent resin seems to be the ideal rati for strength to weight to cosmetics. Regular vacuum bagging has about a 60-65% fiber to resin, infusion/prepreg is about 70-30. Wet layups which is standard on 90% of parts bought can be any where from 10-50% fiber to resin,
carbon fiber basics, there is way to much to cover in a for sale post. really it should be its own post. Basically if your buying a "carbon fiber" hood for less then 1000 bucks its not carbon most likely not even remotely optimized for strength to weight, meaning its #1 design factor was to do it for cheapest possible, don't even get me started on the scam that every one uses "dry carbon"
I have a original garage defend panel. its just 1 layer of carbon with a carbon matt behind it.The part it self is about the thickness of 4 sheets of paper.If carbon is done right it does not need to be thick to make a suitable part. Makeing parts thick kind of defeats the purpose of using carbon.