View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #107
HalveBlue
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
HalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mRclARK1 View Post
I did not read this whole thread...

True. You can't fight geography... The reason North America is a gas hog? It has no choice. The next major city from where I am is a further distance than most European countries are from border to border east - west or north - south. It's two nations that occupy an area larger than 3 of the continents on the globe that contain 50+ nations.

The distance from me to Toronto for example... Is further than the distance from London to Berlin and nearly back again. But I never have to leave the country.

It's true for the most part. However, come where I live and stay for one winter living on a farm when it's -50 outside and snow depth is measured in feet, not inches. You NEED a big ass truck that's gonna use gas. A civic hybrid won't start in the morning if it's outside, let alone make it down the driveway after a blizzard.

I'll completely agree however that A LOT of fuckers out there have vehicles like that they do not need. Both here and elsewhere.

You pay 6.35 a gallon. Good for you. I can drive in any direction and never leave the province I'm in and it would be farther than driving across Germany.

Not saying you don't understand, I'm just saying the comparison is invalid. I know you're an American in Europe so you get what I say. But IME a lot of Europeans who criticize American and Canadian use of fuel etc. have never been here... They have no concept of the sheer size and distances between places here. Not to mention (especially in the central and west central parts of Canada) the harsh conditions in winter that necessitate that consumption.

Where I live we have a large influx of European immigrants at the moment... Every single one I've talked to is changing their tune about here and the gas prices. They know even though it's cheaper, we still pay more cause we have to. A guy I go to school with wanted to drive to Calgary, Alberta with some people. He figured on it being about a 2-3 hr. trip.

He nearly didn't believe me when I informed him it's closer to 6-7 and it would be further than if he drove across his home country of France.

His response "But it's just over in the next province!"
Mine: "But you're 200 miles from the border to the next province here, and it's another 200 to Calgary after that."

He also informed me he never put more than 200 miles on his car in a month back home. I told him people here can do that in less than a week, and still be actively trying to save gas. People from Europe it would seem just don't grasp the DISTANCES we have to deal with here.

But whatever. The price of gas, is the price of gas. I'll pay it and not let it affect my life. It's dirt cheap (kinda) now... I'm working on filling jerry cans.
You're absolutely right with your statement.

But it's also important to remember that the U.S. and Canada have directly and indirectly subsidized and developed an infrastructure that's reliant on the private automobile.

This didn't used to be the case. The United States (and I assume Canada as well) for example actually had more miles of commuter track in the early part of the 20th century than in the second half.

The system in Europe isn't perfect by any means and wouldn't work if most U.S. cities if planners tried to implement the same strategies.

The auto-centric transportation infrastructure in North America is a direct result of prosperity and consumer societies. The downside to all that comfort and luxury is that when operating costs increase, owners of POV's are going to be a lot more sensitive to the rise in prices.
HalveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote