View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #44
PureRush
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
PureRush is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbociv910 View Post
Engines get better gas mileage and less emissions the hotter they are, that is why most cars have an operating temp of 200-220. Some iron blocks are 230!. Iridium increases heat increasing fuel mileage. Hotter everything is, the air the engine is consuming is less dense(= less fuel). Just like when its cold you expect more power right?

Copper runs cooler, has colder spark(naturally) to reduce detonation for higher horsepower and aftermarket applications. Many, countless times have i taken out iridium plugs in exchange for copper and gained power, or got rid of a miss fire.

never buy "iridium racing" plugs for your car, you will waste the $$ and i will say i told you so.

downside is that a copper plug wears out twice as fast, but who cares when they cost $3 a piece.
I'm sorry but I have correct this since you're wrong in so many ways.

The electrode which can be made of copper, iridium, platinum, etc does not effect the temperature inside the cylinder. The amount of insulation under the white ceramic shell on the spark plug determines the temperature of the spark plug (Heat Range can be a Hotter/Colder Spark plug). Thats why higher hp motors usually have one step or two step colder spark plugs. Different electrodes only determine longetivity of the spark plug. Top fuel drag cars use basic copper spark plugs that many of you use.

There's no such thing as a stronger/weaker/colder/hotter "spark". A spark is a spark and nothing else. What determines performance is the gap. Gap should be determined based on the engines OEM specifications or secondary ignition system output if aftermarket.

Also spark plugs (If using the correct ones) can NEVER cause detonation. The only way you can is if you use the incorrect spark plug that is a hotter heat rang or has a longer reach which will increase the compression (That is if it doesn't hit the top of the piston). I think the word that you're looking for is "misfire". Can be caused by usually incorrect gap. Spark plugs come already gapped to OEM specs but I always double check.

WARNING: IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS SHOULD NOT BR GAPPED. THE ELECTRODE WILL GET DAMAGED!
PureRush is offline   Reply With Quote