View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #56
Zed Nismo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Zed Nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to share some opinion and personal experiences with spark plugs, I think HKS Iridiums are the best spark plugs out there for turbo cars. I know many will chime in here and flame me saying otherwise. I am not saying that NGK Iridiums are not good (That's what I currently have in my S13 and I am not complaining) but yes, I have had experience with HKS Iridiums and they are just the BEST hands down. If you really look at the design of the HKS plugs, you will see that you get less vibration so the gaps don't change. Many will scratch your heads, but some people know what I am talking about. Just look at the HKS spark plugs and the NGK/Denso (whathaveyou) and you will see that the HKS spark plugs have a shorter electrode that is much more resistant to vibration. The insulation is much different and well, I don't have any pictures to back up my opinion at the moment, but I will take some pictures and post them up so people can see and understand where I'm coming from. It is also designed to take high boost. I'm sure the problem that many of you have with ignition/misfire/detonation is in regards to running a hotter plug then necessary for your application, but I will guarantee any of you, get the HKS plugs and you will never look back.
I have not had experience running the plugs in an S-chassis. However, I have had experience in a couple Supra's and IS300 with a VVTi 2JZGTE and the plugs make a world of difference compared to the Denso plugs or even the NGKs. The performance of the car is just amazing and smooth throughout the power band and does not sputter or "give out" at higher RPM's or under higher boost levels.
I will post picture and specifics of the HKS spark plugs. I should have a couple laying around the shop. The difference with running HKS plugs and NGK is instantly noticeable. Now I can't say that you will get 20whp just by upgrading to HKS nor am I a rep for HKS by any means. I am just stating my opinion and experience with this particular spark plug.
Many people don't want to "waste" $20/per plug for the HKS units, but I think it's a great investment. Especially when you are putting so much money into the motor, turbos, manifolds, front mounts etc. I think the $80 for a set of HKS plugs is well worth the outcome. Yes I will be getting these plugs in the near future and I am not telling everyone to go ahead and buy these. But I do believe in all of HKS products and think that these plugs are the absolute best for Boosted motors.
Zed Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote