View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #71
Joobie

Trader Rating: (0)
Joobie is making a name for him/her selfJoobie is making a name for him/her self
I know this is a CD009/CD00A thread, but I feel like we should bring up the difference in transmission models. Everyone seems to shy away from the earlier versions just because of the number on the side.

I'm personally using a CD001 transmission out of a v35 Skyline that has been upgraded with the CD009 synchros and throwout fork/pivot. Managed to get it cheap because of the number written on the side. The donor car had 60,000kms (40,000miles) when it was written off, and the internals look brand new (I was informed that the gearbox was rebuilt with the update kit not long before the car was crashed).

From what I can tell, the biggest issue with the earlier versions has to be the weaker throwout fork and longer pivot flexing, allowing the synchros to wear prematurely. That and people not knowing how to drive a manual.

Difference between throwout pivots:

New:

Old:

I can't find images of the difference between the forks, but from what I have read, the earlier ones are weaker.

Quote:
2003 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st and 2nd
No triple cone synchronizers

2004 6MT
Double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd, 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 2nd

2005 CD008
Double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd, 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 2nd

2005 CD009
Double cone synchronizer in 4th
Triple cone synchronizer in 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Gears not listed use a single cone synchroniser.

IIRC almost all of the transmissions made by Nissan prior to '99 used single cone sync rings almost exclusively. So as far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't be an issue running an earlier model 6 speed in your s-chassis as long as you use the upgraded throwout kit.

Please make note that the Synchroniser rings are generally a brass item that is made to wear. They aren't meant to be smashed into gear, they work like a clutch plate to lock the gears onto the shafts slowly, preventing damage elsewhere. They are going to wear out eventually with each gear change. This would mean that a city driven manual box with 50,000miles would probably be in worse condition than a highway driven box with 80,000miles.

TL;DR, if you want to drive like you're in the Fast and Furious, don't bloody whinge that your gears are grinding, buy a dog box instead. I hear Jericho's are cheap