View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #112
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
It really is infuriating as a consumer when you have two separate companies trading with the same name based on the other's overseas reputation and sours me on both sides.

> Tomei USA makes nothing in-house. Like DMAX Japan, they are one large marketing/logistics company. But then again, so are most of everyone's beloved Japanese brands...

This should be no surprise anymore, but people's anecdotes about poor QC make me wonder what things will look like a decade from now, if these companies will just fall into the noise of 'brands' and no one will care about them or respect them anymore. When you pay $320 for an HKS Sport exhaust (versus the ~$1000 they cost back when they were made in-house) you know full well that it's made by a third party, but you hold on to the faith that HKS wouldn't put their name on an eBay-grade product. If that faith collapses HKS becomes nothing more than Megan or NRG with a Japanese PO Box.

I'm waiting for the day when one of these companies' US importers fully gives in to the dark side and, instead of going Tomei's route of going straight to the same supplier, they contract with one of the counterfeit suppliers.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote