View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
sentradude is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
The starter itself has only 2 wires for signal 12v. I would isolate them and test each individually.

In other words, the starter isn't turning the engine, so now for diagnosis purposes you need to first verify that the starter is indeed able to turn the engine. Do so by manually sending 12V to the solenoid/starter (Use a thick piece of wire to "jump" the starter) just to verify the starter actually works the way it should. (hear "click" when turning the key, but when you go under the hood 5 seconds later and manually jump the starter it spins normally)

Once you verify the "large lug" (main 12V source) to the starter is indeed healthy/intact (because the starter always turns the engine when you manually jump the solenoid) you can ignore it and focus on the smaller wire- the one in the harness. Follow it to wherever it goes and replace whatever along the way you find damaged/aged. A temporary solution is a simple button, you could use a relay to power it (so you dont have to run live 12V through the car, just send a ground from a button to a relay)

Other info:
From experience, it sounds like the problem is battery/terminal related. Verify you have the thick ground to the intake manifold and battery tray attached. And then, suspect a weak battery. Are you running a "small" battery? or an old one? Barrow a fresh battery or a jump box and try that before de-looming your harness looking for wiring issues.
Hi, tried to jump it directly when it wouldnt start via key and the starter turned right over and started the car. So, I know its somewhere between the ignition switch and starter!! I have an alarm installed in the car so I am going back to the basics. Removed the dash in about 15 minutes yesterday after getting home from being stuck for 45 mins and will check each and every connection between the starter and ignition.

Once question, the starter gets its voltage through the black/white wire, is the black/white getting voltage from the white wire? Also, whats the secondary starter wire for black/yellow? THX!

Last edited by sentradude; 02-05-2016 at 09:30 AM..
sentradude is offline   Reply With Quote