View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #47
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
As a matter of fact... I've had solid subframe bushings for i dunno... 5-8 years now. My S14 has 405,000 miles on it. Never had a cracked fuel tank. Dunno if that's a coincidence or if that's the reason.

Err someone mentioned something about clogged fuel filter and excess pressure in the tank. I'm been running a z32 tt fuel filter for the longest time. Dunno if that makes a difference or not either. Maybe less prone to clogging vs oem 240sx-sized fuel filter. I dunno, just throwing some ideas out there.
no relation, the z32 fuel filter makes no fucking difference. and technically, the tank does not crack - it just weeps. pinholes appear at the seam-weld, simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
do you have any further info on this? I have never heard of a classic car exemption for CA (just the 75 or older). I did manage to find this which states if your vehicle is older than 25 years old, it becomes smog exempt. I don't think that's accurate.

https://www.carsdirect.com/dmv/do-cl...-in-California
that link is horse shit. our cars dont just automatically become exempt. they will always have to comply with the applicable smog rules set for our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
only thing I can think of is a custom made metal one. Shouldn't be that hard for someone with experience. As long as it's seated properly, the rest should be easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
If you have the tig, the tools, how hard can it be? I might even ask if I see him in the near future what he thinks. I just don't like to ask questions about making stuff that I don't intend to have made up asap, waste of time, but this isn't such a big deal IMO.
have you dolts looked at a stock tank? its a very odd, saddle-bag shape designed to hug the underbelly of the chassis. making one out of metal is totally out of the picture. the only solution is fuel cell, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
IIRC, the issue seemed to only affect Zenki and not koukis from the last time I broached this topic.
here we go again, the magic and mystery of the kouki. its the same fucking tank, no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosuke Takahashi View Post
You cant legally smog the car in cali once you go fuel cell.
who told you this? i think you are wrong.

the only issue that is big here, is that the tank doesnt just hold fuel, it also holds the pressure unit needed for obd2 functionality. this is in the later tanks, its actually molded into the tank.

as these cars get older, the only solution will be fuel cell... or convert your car to electric.

ive already posted on this problem years ago, i was able to fix this issue by heating the tank (empty, of course) with a heat gun - and then basically melting nylon (from zip ties or somewhere else) and just plastic welding the two together. it works surprisingly well. however, my car is no longer compliant as i ditched the charcoal canister/evap system - the tank is no longer being pressurized as it originally was. i still have the flip valve, so it holds fumes... just not the same amount of pressure as originally designed.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote