View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #39
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Cloud_Strife is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
Im gonna be honest, i am facing a pretty rough end to my year and (personally not professionally) and its influencing my urge to move.

I talked to a co worker who is from oregon and in short she told me...

1. Yes pay is better but income tax is higher so its really the same shit as what I face here in Cali.
2. Property tax is higher. Houses may be cheaper but if you factor in property tax it evens itself out.

honestly where I'm from (San Diego) isnt all THAT expensive considering its a major California city, then again thats probably why more people are migrating here...

Ill go again in the Spring and hopefully by then things look up for me and if not, maybe its time to move up North...

if I do make the move Ill probably buy a subaru wagon down here and bring it up with me since you said most used cars up there are shit boxes.

if I dont leave the state now when I am still young I will for sure do it when I retire. I hear that CA isnt too kind to those who are on a fixed income.
Yeah that was my goof about the sh** cars. I've been looking recently and have found great deals. It's just market fluctuation.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a house now. I'd wait until you settle down or you make enough friends where you can have roomies who don't mind talking about car sh**.

I look at the cost of living like this: I like places where I get what I pay for. 800$ here in hernando county gets you nothing unless you want to live in the ghetto part of my city dealing with tons of drugs and crime. Want an S-chassis? good luck because it will get broken into everynight.

Take that same 800 and go find a studio/1bd (if you're lucky). Now what's important to me are things like parks, nice roads, good drivers, and a place to practice my driving (legally of course). It has a city that isn't too intense, yet has enough to keep you busy for the most part. If not, Seattle is not that far away and you can bus up there on the bolt bus for like 15$. I get none of that here in my flat state, with parks built on sinkholes and roads that are tolled up the a**. Also, there's no public transportation and that pisses me off. I like being able to catch the bus when I cut my brake line because I'm wetodit. Driving here is insane; I see car WRECKS everyday because elderly or out of state drivers cannot fathom the poorly constructed road and traffic flow.

And people say FL is cheap. It's cheap for certain reasons, and this attracts certain people. We don't pay much here, sure, but we have some of the worst public schools, crap government support, and nothing to do but drink and get into trouble.

Me personally, I think Portland is worth it; even with the high rent. It's a place where the positives outweigh the negatives.

But again, it's a city and cities all have problems. People all have issues. There's no magical Utopia. Cept maybe B.C.

Just make a pros and cons list. The last time I made mine I moved out there tho lol.

Can you Portland natives chime in here? I'm just this loud-mouth transplant who spent a year there. Really would like the guy to hear from a local.
Cloud_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote