Old 01-24-2003, 05:59 AM   #8
DSC
New Title

Trader Rating: (0)
DSC is an unknown quantity at this point
battery weight = ~35lbs
weight reduced over front wheels ~35lbs
weight increased over rear wheels ~35lbs
total weight difference being ~70lbs, makes a big difference in feel.
weight added from wireing and hardware ~15lbs nearly evenly spread over front/rear, 7.5lbs added to each end, mostly on the passanger side.
If mounted in the spare tirewell, I haven't measured it but it appears to be slightly closer to the middle (f/r) of the car than in it's original mounting point, definitely in the left/right middle of the car and also sits slightly lower.
Also allows for a cool intake

After thinking about it, I think the reason the difference I felt was so huge was because of the pendlum effect...also I thinkit was mounted higher than originally, making the rear come around even more.
So when I remount the battery in the trunk, horrozontally in the spare tirewell as far forward as possible.

"weight removal is always beneficial, even if it hurts the car's balance."
i'd agree with that. Sure you don't want 95% of the weight over the front...but for all practical purposes, i can remove every ounce of weight possible from the rear (already did) and not drop more than 60lbs
The reason for the battery relocation was to reduce the overall weight of the car w/out changing the original ballance...doing this and only adding 15lbs total...I still come out on top.

The handleing makes since to me now too...i think
more weight on the rear will keep the tires from spinning but will increase inerta. I don't have to worry about my tires spinning so I should only worry about inerta. Making reduced weight in the rear increase understeer on a stock ka.

I think my car is already in SM because the rules are picky and I didn't feel like modding my car in acordance to them if i do auto-x it'll just be for ****s and giggles.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by DSC; 01-24-2003 at 06:02 AM..
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote