View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
DeatschWerks
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
DeatschWerks is making a name for him/her selfDeatschWerks is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie View Post

Can I use the sr20det injector caps on the q45 injectors? I've been told that there are variances but I don't see why it matters since the inlet boss diameters are the same, (or so I've been told).

I am confused by this answer just because the lower ring is mounted higher on the injector than where the pintle cap is located.

Location of pintle cap..

Location of the O ring.
I think everyone here was thinking you had the same type of injectors that KA24de and SR20s use (a 'phase2' injector.) The Phase2 injectors need the cap to keep the o-ring on. The o-ring can stay on without the cap but it's not too safe.

But that's not what kind of injector you have. You have a Phase1 style injector.
On those injectors you have, you'll notice a very small rod sticking out of the injector. That is the actual pintle. The cap for these injectors are there to protect that. It is very important to not damage the pintle on these.

Here's a quick picture I snapped of a Phase1 without a cap so you can see the pintle.

And just for reference, this is a Phase1 with a pintle cap.

Also, the Phase1 injectors will not fit in a KA24de or SR20DET fuel rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
Those look like early style Q45/300ZX injectors that had problems with there coils burning out.
Correct, those are 'phase1' sidefeed injectors. Nissan and Subaru have stopped using these due to their high failure rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240=180 View Post
does it matter if the little fingers on the pintle caps of my sr injectors are broken?
Your injectors will still work fine. The fingers are mainly there to protect the nozzle if the injectors get dropped.