View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 05:17 AM   #83
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvns14 View Post
True. But it simple, he could save California millions of dollars and just release the returns. Conservative leaning people believe on being tough on crime because criminal exploit the soft targets and soft/laws and systems that allow recidivism; what is not releasing returns/preparing before inauguration/vacationing @ personal property for profit but attacking/disregarding established norms. The election process didn’t reflect the will of the voting people and while the president won in a technically correct way, his organization cut through centuries of what we have worked to as an established way to beecome president, not codified into law. I don’t think we could get enough political support anywhere to make laws of what we have asked previous presidents to do but we can’t control that process now, which again in the future could go against the will of the people as it did here for the majority of voting Americans.
No, California can save themselves millions by stopping what amounts to kabuki theater.

And also, Joe Biden (calling criminals “predators”) has been a STRONG advocate of being tough on crime. Hell so was Clinton and Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
This post reminded why I don’t label as either camp.

My intial thought is California could have saved themselves a lot of time and money by not passing useless legislation.

Unless they are truly stupid they know full well it will be ruled unconstitutional.

IMO it is political theater at its finest. The senate and governor can now say how they tried but they got over turned by the potus’s Supreme Court (as we all know it will).

Their constituents eat it up and vote accordingly.

These days the tough on crime shtick seems be another voter trick. People like the idea despite not knowing what it really means. The phrasing sounds good.

I think a classical conservative, or a libertarian depending om how one looks at it, should be softer on some crimes.

Mandatory sentencing
Three strike rules
Draconian drug sentencing

are a few “tough” things republicans and Democrats alike should rethink.

Prison reform is needed ins major way but it’s a hard sell to a lot of America.
And thanks to Trump we have the first step towards prison reform with the bill he passed in spring. He got almost ZERO coverage from the MSM when he passed that. It’s not the final solution but it’s a start. It’s far more than Obama ever did on the subject.