View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #11
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
The black box isnt a catch can. It is an air/oil baffle. It provides a small amount of resistance to flow to prioritize the valve cover pressure drop and possibly preventing oil from exiting the oil pan and entering the PCV lines. I think they are worried oil being whipped up into a mist might be pulled out of the oil pan and into the intake. Notice it doesn't go between the turbo and valve cover, so any oil flow during WOT is going to ignore the black box. It was eliminated in the S14, I assume they improved the baffle in the oil pan. If you look at the black box its routed to the oil pan. If you need to remove it simply remove it and attach using a hose to the oil pan. I've done this way in the past without any issues. As long as the crankcase pressure is set properly there won't be large oil mist droplets suspended in the crankcase fluids. Air is a fluid.

To set the pressure you measure the crankcase pressure then adjust it at the air filter.
Air filter provides pressure drop. If you removed the air filter from any engine in the world there is no more WOT Pressure drop for PCV and the engine will begin to blow oil from every seal and leaking dripping and fill the rings with oil causing carbon deposits etc...
If you need an example video how to set and measure crankcase pressure check my build thread its the first video at the top and explanation
Great info like always King, can you post link to your videos please?
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote