View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 09:44 PM   #22
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
What does that have to do with anything? If you can maintain a vacuum on the crankcase is all that matters. Use exhaust, use intake, use pump, use whatever.
That?s my point? The whole reason you?re arguing over the same thing is unknown to me.

Quote:
Ah, This is a problem. You started to think your car is 'special' because you changed something like an air filter or engine. This is a dark path that leads away from reliability because it undermines the engineering that went into the drivetrain if you let it. *You* didn't design the engine, the factory did. It is a factory engine- so its a factory car. If we put a Chevrolet into a Nissan, that doesn't mean that *we* built the car. Chevrolet built the engine, its a factory car still, just a hodgepodge now of factory parts. If we rebuilt the transmission its still a factory transmission makeup. If we rebuilt the engine with a bunch of aftermarket parts- that will reduce reliability of the factory engine. Its still a factory engine, its just been made less reliable because we messed with the factory internals in a way that undermines the original engineering. Aftermarket internals don't make an engine more reliable, quite the opposite. Just like fucking with the factory PCV system doesn't guarantee a superior PCV system. It is how we qualify and determine whether our modifications to factory parts actually improved the reliability or not that matters, not whether or how we make those modifications. IF I attached a electrical vacuum pump to the crankcase that assured will function for 200k miles providing a full time vacuum as good or better than factory, on the crankcase then it is just as good as any factory PCV system. The trouble is finding and implementing such a device as it does not exist and even if it did may incure maintenance and complexity issues unforeseen without testing.

What I am getting at here is a perspective method for maintaining reliability. Stop thinking of your vehicle as a special or 'racing' vehicle no matter what power or function it has. Factory parts *are* racing parts, most are superior to anything aftermarket due to the decades of revisions and statistical interface that guided their ultimate function and production.
What? Sucking all that nasty shit from your VC back into the motor is what gums up intake valves, rings and everything else. It is what creates carbon deposits. I didn?t know that was the goal...

Quote:
Do you know how I got 50,000 miles from a Chevrolet engine that already has 200,000 miles to begin with, at 800brake horsepower, while keeping all the factory internals and drivetrain in a daily driver configuration? My mentality to keep all factory parts and understand their limitations and producing the environment in which they operate under the same conditions or similar to what the factory had intended.
Nope and I surely do not care

Quote:
NO catch can. No oil pooling. The RB has a head drainback modification which prevents oil from pooling in the head. This is the correct way to deal with oil accumulation in the engine baffles- NOT a catch can. Catch is a band-aid for idiots who don't know how to return the oil to the oil pan. Its how I can tell whether somebody actually knows what they are doing or not, instantly.

My RB has loose ring gaps and forged pistons but I properly set the crankcase pressure and there is no blow-by or issue with blowing oil out. If I had not properly measured then of course it would flood the intake with oil. The key, just like with fuel pressure, is to measure and set it properly. Tune it. Engine tuning is not just in the computer. It?s how you setup and tune every component of the vehicle.
Clearly, just like the SR20VET ?not? being able to product 370ftlbs of trq, you have no clue what you are referring to. The head drain surely helps, but it is not the fix. The fix is controlling the oil supply to the head, while also adding baffles and even then, with the drain, a catch can is necessary. Apparently, all the record setting shops in Australia are a bunch of idiots too.

Quote:
Education time. You are incorrect and here is why. Blow-by gas and hydrocarbon partially reacted compounds found in combustion is a gas state. It is hot, high velocity gas.

Gasses cannot be captured in catch can or any kind of solid vessel. It would be like trying to catch the helium from a balloon in a can- impossible. The only way to catch blow-by products is to dissolve them into engine oil, which is exactly what the PCV system is intended to prevent. You don't want combustion products to dissolve into engine oil because then they circulate around the engine causing deposits and atherosclerosis of oil venules/capillaries, leading to eventual wear and failure.
No shit, I don?t want to capture them and you assume I?m trying to capture these gases. I want them removed from my motor and not sucked back into the intake where they can affect knock resistance.