View Single Post
Old 04-19-2023, 10:39 AM   #39
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
the initial R&D is the expensive part, so once that is done then everything becomes easier.

so my statement still stands. very few companies can come out and reverse engineer this with precision, and given the (cheap) customer base of the owners of this car the investment does not justify the return.

the new stampings can cost $1M for all we care, but if the cost of that is already accounted for or not passed to the customer, that is a moot point. at this price point, it is definitely not passed to the customer.
I'd have to see the die but I'm sure you could do something using a zinc based tool for $40-90k setup on nitros. Internet a vendor in Detroit was doing the whole read skin of a CRV off a $200K tool.

You don't need production rate steel dies since you will never churn out +30k a year.

Hopefully these cars can build a restoration culture like vintage muscle did. I'm skeptical however as millennials and zoomers are way to "throw away". Hot rod restoration began almost immediately in the early 80's (barely 15 years removed) and took off in the 90's. We're now 30 years out and it's still not taking off.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote