View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 11:46 PM   #32
knate
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
knate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really niceknate is just really nice
LDRL Howl-o-Ween Derby (11/1/15) - 8 hours - Portland International Raceway:

After the deluge on the first day, the second morning the weather is pretty reasonable. It's damp, but at least not a downpour. Today is an 8 hour race, and with 2 hour maximum driving stints that means trying to make it the full two hours to avoid an extra pit stop towards the end. It also means that the pits will be quite crowded at the first pit stop. We are running used Hankook RS3s from they day before, having switched up from our usual Dunlop Direzza Star Specs.

I get in the car first, and start in 16th place at 9am. I get a decent run as there is a mist off of the track and a rainbow forming in the sky. Our buddies in the #177 Finally Racing BMW get taken out int he first corner and we make up a few places. With the mist spraying everywhere and the sun out, visibility gets pretty challenging at times. I make my way up towards the front of the pack, battling with an Acura Integra for 1st place. The track is drying out, and I am able to pick up more speed and move into 1st place. At 11am I pit on the same lap as the #71 Shift Autosport Jetta and #177, who are now behind us in 2nd and 3rd place. My fastest lap was a 1:34.5, good but a far cry from my 1:31.98 record.

When I pull in the pits we don't have any help yet. Nathan and I do a two-man pit stop: fueling, checking oil, and cleaning the windshield. Nathan has a dry track at this point, with cool air and few clouds in the sky. Nathan battles it out with #71 Shift Autosport Jetta for a few laps, maintaining 1st place. At noon Nathan manages to pass #177, putting us a lap up! When Nathan pits at 1pm, we are a lap up on both 2nd and 3rd place. Nathan ran a fastest lap of 1:33.1, nearly a second and a half faster than mine. Our help has arrived, and we have a good clean pit stop. #177 has a slow pit stop, and now they are two laps behind putting Shift Autosport in 2nd.

I go out again, and get quite a bit of good clean laps in. I run a 1:33.4 before the rain sets in a little after 2pm. It rains just long enough to make things slippery, then starts to dry out again. I finish up my session in the damp full of slipping and sliding, and turn the car over to Nathan at 3pm two laps ahead of #177 in 2nd place and 3 laps ahead of Shift Autosport.

When Nathan gets in the car, it's getting quite a bit more wet. It's now extremely slick all the way around, so he spends much of his time drifting and avoiding spun cars. Nathan does a celebration drift out of turn 12 and we finish in 1st two laps ahead of #177 Finally Racing! Our first weekend with Lucky Dog and our first time ever with a double-win in a weekend!

After the race one of the drivers of the #177 BMW said, "In the dry we had a bit more speed than you, and we both struggled when it was really wet, but in the damp your car is a monster!"

Video Overview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j862Lq3cvA

Last edited by knate; 04-18-2021 at 01:18 AM..
knate is offline   Reply With Quote